Entry #4: Being a twin!

One of the biggest parts of my life, since I was born of course, is being a twin! It is such a blessing to be a twin and it is also very unique. I am an identical twin so that means that both my sister and I come from the same fertilized egg. I am going to explain a little more on how twins are formed and also how we share the same DNA. 

Identical twins are monozygotic. This means that one single egg splits into two separate embryos. Something to help with the understanding of identical twins is that they come from the same genetic material. This means their DNA is almost exactly the same. Although we come from the same egg, we are not exact copies of each other. Genetic mutations play a part in this. This is because over time, DNA grows so we are now doing it independently. Going further into this, identical twins look very alike. Here is an example of my twin and I! 


As you can see, we look extremely alike! This tends to have people confusing us a lot. There are things that distinguish us from each other though. For example, our hair parts. Now that we are older, we do things to look different too. We have different styles and hair colors. 

As said before, identical twins are rare. It is not often that an egg will be fertilized and then split into two. Being a twin means that both my sister and I are alike. We also have similar personalities. This means that I have a built in best friend! 



Comments

  1. I find it so cool how being a twin could be possible! It's so cool to see people look very identical and I always thought having a twin was beyond this world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being an identical twin sounds like such an incredible experience. I find it so cool how you and your sister have such a strong resemblance. The photo really shows the similarities between you two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't imagine having a twin. I bet it's such a one-of-a-kind experience that is inexplainable. It's also very sweet that you mentioned the experience is like having a built in best friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Victoria! I have always wondered what it would be like to be a twin and it's good to hear that you and your twin get along well. I know a few twin siblings who don't get along too well, but it must be nice to have a built in best friend. I also didn't realize how rare identical twins were.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi it’s zahraa I find it so interesting having a twin same person same font. It seems to be a great thing and very enjoyable to have a twin and also a best friend with you all the time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Entry #1: ZZZZZZ

Entry #6: Bruster's Real Ice Cream!